To keep the PC running fast, it is always advisable to defragment the files on your hard disk. Generally defragmenting improves the PC’s performance & it is something that should be done regularly. Defragmentation work can be setup at a particular period of time to run it automatically by certain utility options under Disk Defragmenter Window.
Preparing the Defragmentation
It is always advisable to prepare your defragment before doing it as there are a number of steps to perform for the entire procedure. The fragmentation work slows down the computer’s response time that’s why it takes longer time for it to access particular information.
To begin the process, you have to perform following steps:
- Backing up all the data to another media can be a suitable option for you.
- You can check the hard drive with CHKDSK for scanning & fixing the drive.
- You should open the currently opened virus scanners or other utility programs while performing the defragmentation work.
- The constant usage of power is needful for the disk defragmentation process to get completed.
Defragmenting the hard drive
Follow the step by step guide to perform defragmentation process:
Open up the defrag program
- The firststep is to click on the start button.
- Open up the disk defragmentation program & open it.
- Now, select the program’s icon
- Then accessories icon
- After that select the system tools icon
- and at last click on the disk defragmentation icon.
Determine your need to defrag the drive
After opening up the disk defragmentation utility, you have to click on the analyse button for properly analysing the hard drive so that you can figure out what you need to defrag within the hard drive. After your drive is ready to analyse you should do exactly what the result screen says to you. Like if it says your drive doesn’t need any defragmentation then definitely you will get benefit from the defragmentation, so simply close the program otherwise proceed to the next step.
Defrag the hard disk
Apart from that if your program or result screen says that you need a defragmentation process, then you need to click on the defragment button & allow the program to do its own work. Generally, it will take somewhere around 30 to 40 minutes depending upon the size of the data to defrag, the amount of defragmentation, memory size, the speed of your processor,etc.
After the successful completion of the defragmentation, simply close the program window. If you see any error messages,then you can simply make a note of the error & print this log for future reference or maintenance work on the hard disk.
A rule of thumb says that the drive which is fragmented over 10% should be properly optimised for improving both speeds as well as the performance of your PC. In that way, you can fix few problems in a convenient & timely manner without any need to troubleshoot the PC.